A Welcome; and a Disclaimer

**The name for this blog might sound pretentious, but that really isn't my intention. Rather, the inspiration for the title came from my realization that, although far from perfect, I strive always to be a better person and to influence those around me in positive ways. While I may not be as influential as Mother Theresa or Gandhi, I do believe that my actions have a ripple effect on the people, things, and environment surrounding me. Please join me as I process this exciting journey!

Friday, December 3, 2010

The Gratitude Project: Day 21

Happy December to you all!
As I sit down to write I find myself listening to Christmas music for the first time this season, and it lights me up inside. The very song playing at the moment is A Christmas Jig/Mouth of the Tobique Reel from Yo-Yo Ma's Christmas Album. I would like to share it with you here; unfortunately there is no video, but at least it will provide some unconventional seasonal music enjoyment!

I believe myself to be in good company as I express additional feelings of gratitude during the Christmas season. Whether you celebrate the Christ side of Christmas, or simply enjoy a different aspect of the holidays, I think you will find a certain inexplicable warmth and cheer underscoring these weeks to come. For many, Christmas brings many stresses as well -- shopping in crowded malls and stores, drawn-out searches for "the perfect gift," additional activities and events crammed into an already-crowded calendar, possible travel in less-than-excellent road conditions, and extended time spent with relatives -- but there are so many factors that bring pure enjoyment and ever-present reminders simply to delight in the present, as in the here-and-now, with loved ones and to make each moment a special memory for the days and years to come.

It is in this spirit of anticipation and delight that my inspiration for gratitude is drawn today:

1. Christmas Baking -- I generally draw much more pleasure from cooking than from baking, but the inevitable exception is that, during the Christmas holidays and the weeks leading up to them, I transform into a veritable Suzy Homemaker and find myself whipping up all sorts of delectable concoctions: piping hot beverages, sweet and spicy treats, and an array of goodies to have on hand for any impromptu or planned gathering with family and friends. And the possibilities are endless! With ginger, cloves, cinnamon, vanilla, cardamom and anise, one can create such delightful, flavourful goodies -- and, of course, they always taste better when accompanied by some egg nog, mulled wine or cider, spiked coffee or the like!

2. Sweaters -- While I do enjoy the ever-present warmth of the tropics, I have always taken pleasure in the coziness of those moments at home on brisk-cold winter evenings, wrapped in a sweater and wool socks with a mug of hot chocolate, a good book, and perhaps a blanket. And if there's a fire in the fireplace? Heavenly!

3. Wrapping Gifts -- The adjective "creative" isn't one of the first that comes to mind when describing myself, but there are certain activities in which my creative side certainly does come to the surface and shine -- and gift wrapping is one of them. I can (and do!) spend hours on end choosing colourful paper, ribbons, tags and the like, mixing and matching them to create unique and truly personal gifts which express my love for family and friends both inside and out. After all, if a gift is an expression of one's esteem for another, why not extend that expression to the creativity involved in enveloping the token inside?

No comments:

Post a Comment