A Welcome; and a Disclaimer

**The name for this blog might sound pretentious, but that really isn't my intention. Rather, the inspiration for the title came from my realization that, although far from perfect, I strive always to be a better person and to influence those around me in positive ways. While I may not be as influential as Mother Theresa or Gandhi, I do believe that my actions have a ripple effect on the people, things, and environment surrounding me. Please join me as I process this exciting journey!

Friday, December 10, 2010

The Gratitude Project: Day 25

Is gratitude the same as happiness? Somehow I don't think so. Is it a step toward "being happy"? I'm not too convinced of that, either. Maybe it's just semantics, but I think that, oftentimes, happiness is overrated. A happy person isn't necessarily a fulfilled person or a contented person. And isn't it possible to be rather melancholy, and yet at peace with life? I believe so. Is happiness something to strive to attain? Perhaps; however, I'm not convinced that it should be our end goal.

There are many subjects in life -- unavoidable themes that touch almost every person -- which are neither happy nor uplifting topics to be discussed; and yet, in order effectively to deal with such issues, they must be engaged. Things like emotions, illness, financial struggles, personal problems, questions about the future, discrepancies between a couple concerning how many children they want to have, or whether they're able to at all. Death, relationships, loneliness, aimlessness -- all are themes which touch our lives to varying degrees and which, if we are want to break past them and continue to heal and to grow, we must confront head-on and be honest about with those who surround us.

Are we happy during these times? With few exceptions, no. But these can be turning points which spur us on to brighter futures, clearer days and cloudless confidence in who we are and our ability to tackle certain undesirable situations and still come out okay.

And it is in these moments of honesty and transparency that exists the potential for some of the greatest connection and support between two people. Looking back to several of these moments over my life, while I acknowledge wholeheartedly that they were not happy times, I am forever grateful for them. Some of them have taken years to digest, and some I continue to attempt to break down and understand, but in the end all shed light upon the complexities of life -- of what I so selfishly at times call my life, but which, in its truest form, is life here on this earth throughout history, affecting the present day, and touching the future.

I find that being grateful is not always the same as feeling grateful, but in the end I believe they are connected and, thankfully, both states lead me to a place where I am not quite so exigent upon the people and systems around me; they lead me to being more understanding, more patient, and, hopefully, more kind.

And so, while my life is far from perfect, I know that it is beautiful, and I am grateful for the things -- both little and not-so-little -- which shape it into the unique existance that it is:

1. Good Foam -- Few things in life excite me so much as ordering a latte and then receiving one topped with beautiful foam. Dense yet light, creamy and reminiscent of merengue, masterfully-made foam is a little taste of heaven! It transforms a simple latte into a tasteful work of art, and my coffee drinking ritual into a rejeuvenating moment that makes my spirit soar!

2. The Colour Orange -- Even in the years before I studied a bit of colour psychology, orange has long been my favourite colour. What on this earth so quickly communicates such exuberance and cheer as this bright colour?! While some may be put off by its harshness, I prefer to see it as vibrant. Looking to colour psychologists, they praise the warmth and energy of the wide range of orange colours, as well as the socialization it inspires. According to Suzie Chiazzari, author of The Complete Book of Colour, the colour orange "frees emotions, promotes self-esteem and the capacity to forgive. This stimulating colour fights depression and cultivates good humour." Apparently, the personal attributes given this colour seem also to fit my profile: the list of characteristics that Chiazzari uses of those who often wear or employ the colour orange includes active, competent, independent, competitive, impatient, motivated, creative, practical, full of energy and well organized. I'll leave it to those who know me best to state which of these apply to me!

3. My Computer -- Not owing to any particular make or model, my computer is among the things for which I am grateful because of the manner in which it keeps me connected to those I love. It enables me to communicate through the written and spoken word, whether for others or myself; it allows me to produce public or private creations, assigned or chosen works, and to access a whole wealth of information existant in the cyber world. It truly is a wonder!

No comments:

Post a Comment