A Welcome; and a Disclaimer

**The name for this blog might sound pretentious, but that really isn't my intention. Rather, the inspiration for the title came from my realization that, although far from perfect, I strive always to be a better person and to influence those around me in positive ways. While I may not be as influential as Mother Theresa or Gandhi, I do believe that my actions have a ripple effect on the people, things, and environment surrounding me. Please join me as I process this exciting journey!

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Cue the Arrival of Cupid

Is it just me, or does it seem crazy to think that the year 2011 is already well underway -- soon to be proven by another Valentine's Day!?!




To be perfectly honest, I'm more than a little excited because this will be the first ever opportunity for my husband and I to enjoy a romantic Valentine's evening together! Let me explain: Valentine's Day 2009 was the first (and only!) one when we were still dating, but I was studying in Guatemala that semester -- which translated into a cherished phone conversation, but no special evening together. Boo.

Then, in 2010, we were honoured to be hosting my Mom and Terry here on a week-long visit to Panama -- and so we got sidetracked with sightseeing and introducing them to Ramón's family for the first time, which we loved -- and again, Valentine's Day got overlooked with all the excitement of playing host and hostess.
But this year -- finally -- we're looking forward to a nice Valentines-y evening together. We talked about the idea of going out for a romantic dinner, but what with the craziness of restaurants, not to mention the insane traffic in Panama City on even a "normal" day, we both decided that a quiet, special dinner for two at home would be more our style.
And so, I've been doing some brainstorming -- yes, once again via Martha Stewart's website -- to come up with the perfect elements for an exquisite, memorable meal as well as the other components that combine to create the perfect "first" Valentine's Day evening for us! And, since I love the realm of cooking and entertaining, I am excited to pull out all the stops!

Below are just a few of the ideas that have made it to the top of my list. To get the recipes, simply click on the links included:

Of course, there are also other elements that come into play, such as:

  • flowers
  • candles
  • a good romantic playlist -- including, among others, Michael Bublé, Diana Krall, and some possible Harry Connick Jr.
  • romantic card
  • a gift -- something practical yet unique; simple but elegant
  • taking photos of the evening as it unfolds

What are your other Valentine's Day ideas? Do you have traditions, or special memories of Valentines past?

Photos included in this post found here, here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment