A Welcome; and a Disclaimer

**The name for this blog might sound pretentious, but that really isn't my intention. Rather, the inspiration for the title came from my realization that, although far from perfect, I strive always to be a better person and to influence those around me in positive ways. While I may not be as influential as Mother Theresa or Gandhi, I do believe that my actions have a ripple effect on the people, things, and environment surrounding me. Please join me as I process this exciting journey!

Friday, January 7, 2011

The Gratitude Project: Day 28

Ah, beautiful day!

The sun is shining here in tropical Panama and I just returned home from walking Keipo around our neighbourhood. It is by far his favourite time of day (and mine!), early in the morning, out exploring the scents offered by nature -- as well as by the other dogs who have left their 'business' dispersed throughout the area -- and this morning he met a new friend: a purebred Rottweiler who, it so happens, lives nearby. He is a stocky ol' chap and absolutely beautiful, and he and Keipo took to sniffing one another out right away. And, I must admit, I, too, take pleasure in seeing my puppy interact with other dogs and developing his own socializing skills -- and he is so happy to meet new friends that it seems it isn't sufficient to wag his tail; his whole hind quarters end up wiggling with excitement!



After such a lovely start to a new day, I find myself reflecting upon the beauty and encouragement that have been offered me through the following things in my life:

1. Starbucks. Are you shocked? Yes: Starbucks! Those of you who know me probably won't be surprised by this; but then again, maybe you will. It is no secret that I worked at Starbucks on College Drive for over three and a half years -- and, better yet, that I loved it! For starters, I was thrilled at the prospect of learning all about different brewing methods, espresso-based beverages, and particularly about the distinctive characteristics of whole bean coffees grown in the three basic regions: Latin America, Africa/Arabia, and Asia/Pacific. Add to this the fact that it was conveniently located just across the street from the university where I was studying, and you have a perfect fit! Of course, I am cognisant of the fact that Starbucks is by no means the sole authority on coffee education and coffee quality; however, in my life it played a key role in introducing me to the breadth and variety of coffees produced in the world and in really teaching me about what is meant by the terms "acidity," "aroma," "body," and "flavour," as well as the art of pairing coffee with a truly complementary meal, snack or dessert. In short, Starbucks piqued my interest in something about which I have become passionate: coffee as art!

Additionally, and even more importantly, working at Starbucks was the medium through which I was -- shall I say, blessed? I hesitate to use that term, for it seems to be both misused and overused in this day and age, but I believe it to be a perfect fit here -- I was blessed with the opportunity to meet countless interesting and wonderful people, co-workers and customers alike. Truly, this is what I miss most about Starbucks and what has impacted me most profoundly over the years. There were customers who brightened my day each and every morning when they came in to grab a coffee on their way to work, customers with loud and boistrous entries who made the entire store laugh, and customers who never said much but were always polite and cheerful and understanding in the midst of a frantic moment or a too-full store. As for my co-workers, few stood out so much as Heather, Brooke and Ashley -- young women who were professional, hard-working, cheerful, and genuinely interested in others and in the work they were doing. (And -- let me take a moment here to recommend Ashley's own blog which she has recently started up: The Uncomplicated Year. Ashley is a thoughtful, talented writer who isn't afraid to be honest and up-front, and I truly appreciate her insights about everyday things which we sometimes take for granted.)


And so -- in a nutshell! -- I am oh-so-grateful for Starbucks!



2. History -- What used to be my most dreaded subject in high school, due to all the dates and names that I could never remember and therefore got jumbled and incorrect on tests, has now become one of my foremost fascinations. History, the story of our world through the millennia and the people who have lived in it and impacted the present, is chock full of moments of discovery and triumph, pain and suffering, and the resilience of humanity through it all. And what fascinates me most is that each region, each country, each family, and each person has their own unique story! Ultimately, this is our context for today! With so much to learn and so much intrigue, I can't believe I ever dreaded this topic in school -- although I suppose the undesirable grades on tests had a lot to do with that!

3. The Classics -- Whether talking about classic novels, classic music, or even classic cars (though I admit I'm not much of a car buff), little explanation is required as to why these things have been coined 'classics'. Is there any greater enjoyment than listening to a favourite song or reading one of the classics like Moby Dick or Don Quixote de la Mancha? I think not. And, to celebrate such joy, I thought I'd share a link to the classic Mr. Blue Sky sung by E.L.O. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Leanne,

    Thank you so much for the recommendation of my blog in your post and let me just say that I have only fond memories of working with you at Starbucks as well!

    ReplyDelete