A Welcome; and a Disclaimer

**The name for this blog might sound pretentious, but that really isn't my intention. Rather, the inspiration for the title came from my realization that, although far from perfect, I strive always to be a better person and to influence those around me in positive ways. While I may not be as influential as Mother Theresa or Gandhi, I do believe that my actions have a ripple effect on the people, things, and environment surrounding me. Please join me as I process this exciting journey!

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

The Gratitude Project: Day 13

As we have just been informed that my husband's grandfather has been hospitalized due to a fractured hip, I am once again reminded that life is a gift and we know not how many moments we have on this earth to enjoy with friends and family, an even with oneself. Sometimes we tend to think that "the little things" don't matter all that much, but I disagree; I believe that a life largely is made up of the little things, brief moments, simple pleasures, and that, over time, these things add up to compose a life enjoyed -- a life truly lived.

Some of these "little things" for me are:

1. Ceramic Mugs -- I don't exactly know when my collection of ceramic mugs began, and it was never a conscious effort to begin said collection, but somehow over travels and art fairs I found myself drawn to the unique creations of drinking mugs. I probably have around 20 mugs of different shapes, sizes, colours and personalities -- for that is really what it comes down to, isn't it! Depending on the day and the degree of my intro- or extrovertedness in the moment, a particular mug appeals to me on a soul level. Is this laughable? It's reality. Enjoying my coffee or tea from one such vessel is, for me, a connection with art, with creativity, with life! And oh, how I do miss these mugs of mine, packed away in boxes, awaiting our someday reunion!

2. Looking at Old Photographs -- Have you ever sat down with your grandmother and her photo albums? The stories she tells you as the photographs on display conjure up memories of generations past, of people and places and events too far back in history for your knowing -- such a treasure trove of stories of your own family and, ultimately, of your very own life! Or seeing photos for the first time of your husband when he was just a baby, then a toddler, then a young boy, a young man -- of all the life in him even before the two of you met! It never ceases to amaze me how a stillframe can capture a moment in time and preserve it there for future viewing. It is a gift, a reminder of youth and of aging, of life and of living -- of every event having its season (Ecclesiastes 3:1-8).

3. My Husband's Grandfather -- I know of only one other man so patient, so kind, so optimistic, so good-humoured, and so at peace: this was my own great-grandfather. And my husband's grandfather is of the same nature. He is always at ease, always thankful, always glad to crack a joke and share the gift of laughter -- and he reminds me not to take myself too seriously and to enjoy every moment in life!

No comments:

Post a Comment