A Welcome; and a Disclaimer

**The name for this blog might sound pretentious, but that really isn't my intention. Rather, the inspiration for the title came from my realization that, although far from perfect, I strive always to be a better person and to influence those around me in positive ways. While I may not be as influential as Mother Theresa or Gandhi, I do believe that my actions have a ripple effect on the people, things, and environment surrounding me. Please join me as I process this exciting journey!

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

The Gratitude Project: Day 1

I've been wanting to do this for quite some time, and today marks Day 1 of 30 in choosing to deliberately, intentionally reflect upon things that I often take for granted but which, in the end, really are blessings. Some may be simple, some may be big and complex, but in the end ALL influence my life and, hopefully, make me a better person.

Today being the very first day, a myriad of things come to mind for which I am thankful, so I've decided to touch on the first three that strike me as particularly influential:

1. Literacy -- I am grateful for the ability to read and to write, to communicate with others not only through the spoken word, but the written as well. I am grateful to be able to read the literary works of those who have gone before me and those living now who have been thoughtful enough to share their experiences, ideas, epiphanies and dreams with the world. I am grateful for the media through which we can express ourselves, through which I am able to express myself.

2. Breakfast with my Husband every Morning -- I am grateful for the opportunity to start off every day together with my husband, and for the chance to enjoy breakfast and a cup of coffee -- americano, latte, cappuccino or a simple drip -- with one another, and for the time it gives us for conversation as we enjoy these simple pleasures. It is a true time of connection between us.

3. Early morning Walks with my Dog -- I am grateful that my dog Keipo's necessity to walk every morning and evening has established for me a routine of exercise each day. I never cease to be amazed and inspired by his enthusiasm at seeing a bird, another dog, or people; smelling the grass, chasing a fly, and walking proudly as though fully enjoying and engaging with everything he sees.

No comments:

Post a Comment