A Welcome; and a Disclaimer

**The name for this blog might sound pretentious, but that really isn't my intention. Rather, the inspiration for the title came from my realization that, although far from perfect, I strive always to be a better person and to influence those around me in positive ways. While I may not be as influential as Mother Theresa or Gandhi, I do believe that my actions have a ripple effect on the people, things, and environment surrounding me. Please join me as I process this exciting journey!

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

The Gratitude Project: Day 5

It is good to make the conscious effort to be grateful, especially in moments where one's primary emotion or feeling is not one of thankfulness, as is the case for me at present. However, even as I continue thinking of three small details which inspire gratitude in me, I can sense my mood lifting.

1. Sushi -- I have always loved eating sushi, particularly nori rolls, along with the pickled ginger and wasabi and a splash of soy sauce; however, my enjoyment of this activity reached new levels the first time I made it for my husband. The look of pure delight on his face as he dips each piece of sushi and watches it soak up the soy sauce, and then as he savours the mix of flavours, is even more wonderful to me than eating sushi myself! Of course, I still have a plate of my own and join him in the exotic meal. He doesn't need to know that I'm paying more attention to his reactions than to my own, right?

2. Chai Tea -- Such a flavourful combination of spices: cardamom, anise, cinnamon, cloves, ginger and the like! And, accompanied by milk and honey, it's the perfect after-dinner drink. I especially love home-made chai tea using fresh spices, but my favourite bagged variety is made by TAZO, which also happens to have a fabulous, fun, educational, interactive website.

3. On-line Recipes -- I've always been a fan of cooking, and I like to try new combinations of ingredients and making cuisine from different parts of the world. Over time, I amassed several cookbooks (which I did use frequently, if even to inspire what would then become my own concoction of foods) which are now sitting in a box in storage in Canada while I am here in Panama. And so I have entered the world of searching on-line for recipes -- and what a wealth of information there is to be found! A few of my favourite websites are: Martha Stewart (which is so much more than just food!) and Meals Matter, which also has tools such as a meal planner, personal nutrition planner, recipes, shopping lists, and helpful articles about food, cooking and nutrition. Not only is meal planning fun, it is now a more visual experience for me and easier as I can see things laid out for the days, weeks, and even months ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment