A Welcome; and a Disclaimer

**The name for this blog might sound pretentious, but that really isn't my intention. Rather, the inspiration for the title came from my realization that, although far from perfect, I strive always to be a better person and to influence those around me in positive ways. While I may not be as influential as Mother Theresa or Gandhi, I do believe that my actions have a ripple effect on the people, things, and environment surrounding me. Please join me as I process this exciting journey!

Monday, September 27, 2010

The Gratitude Project: Day 9

Another beautiful beginning to another beautiful week! And to kick it off, here are three things which have struck me as particularly special this morning:

1. Weekends -- Whether it runs from Friday evening to Sunday evening or is designated to two traditional weekdays, the weekend is a wonderful gift. And this past one for me was refreshing and encouraging as well as restful; an opportunity to connect with friends and family for good conversation, good food, and making memories, as well as some time at home with "the kids," Keipo and Toon, our puppies.


2. LUSH -- I have a profound respect for any company that produces its products with locally-grown, natural and organic materials as far as possible, and LUSH certainly does this and more! This company boasts "fresh handmade cosmetics," many of which come "naked" -- free of wrappers or containers. Some such products include their solid shampoos, facial cleansers, deodorants and massage bars, for which reusable tins can also be purchased (a reality that I love)! And the aromas are heavenly -- coconut, citrus, vanilla, patchouli -- LUSH has something for everyone's taste! (Okay, this is beginning to sound like an advertisement gimick, but I swear I gain nothing from spreading the naked gospel but pure satisfaction that I am helping to share the good news of LUSH's products and how positively life-changing and environmentally responsible is the use of them!)

3. Starbucks Coffee Company -- Yes, right off the bat, let me state that I did work for this company for several years. And, with the exception of the periodic irrational-customer experience, I loved it! And this morning I find myself once again feeling incredibly grateful for the things that Starbucks taught me -- from "legendary customer service" to the immaculate quality of espresso-based beverages, teas, coffees and the like; from distinguishing the subtleties of aroma, acidity, body and flavour of different coffees from different regions to the artful creativity and discipline required in managing a store. I am glad for the inspiration of the pioneers who made the European-style coffee shop a North American reality, and for the passion of Howard Schultz as he developed the establishment further. I am grateful for the distinguished Black Apron and for the coffee mastery which it represents. And, above all, I am thankful that the skills and education which Starbucks gave to me can be applied every day as I enjoy experimenting with and creating my own signature beverages at home for my husband and I, and for the joy it brings to our guests when we offer them such a fine espresso-based beverage!


Photos courtesy of: www.starbucks.com/menu and www.lush.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment