A Welcome; and a Disclaimer

**The name for this blog might sound pretentious, but that really isn't my intention. Rather, the inspiration for the title came from my realization that, although far from perfect, I strive always to be a better person and to influence those around me in positive ways. While I may not be as influential as Mother Theresa or Gandhi, I do believe that my actions have a ripple effect on the people, things, and environment surrounding me. Please join me as I process this exciting journey!

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

The Gratitude Project: Day 10

I am noticing a pattern within my list of things for which I am grateful: there appears to be much thankfulness for the things of technology -- which, to some, might seem rather impersonal. I would argue that it depends on how one uses these technological contraptions; any tool may be used as a means to either a positive or negative end. Perhaps much of this technological gratitude stems from the fact that, in this season in my life, I do rely more heavily on technology for my communications than ever before. Living in Panama and wanting to mantain contact with family and friends back in Canada, dealing with the same bank back in Canada, even continuing my degree -- all these aspects of a balanced life have now, for me, come to mean adjusting the manner in which I interact with people and institutions and have necessarily had to adapt to my computer largely being the medium through which I communicate, whether through the written or spoken word.

Hence the three "little things" inspired today:

1. Our iPod -- As a lover of music, being both a musician and appreciator of other musicians' work, music has always been an important aspect of my life. I also value silence, but there is often music playing in the background in our home. And, seeing as we had to pack up our life and move to Panama nearly ten months ago, it didn't seem rational to bring our hundreds of CDs along with us and have them take up our limited and valuable space. Thus, we invested in an iPod with which to carry the music contained in all our CDs in a much more compact fashion. And what a joy it has been! I have long desired a life of simplicity, and have just as long struggled with how to achieve that best -- and whether the acquisition of more expensive contrivances is justified in streamlining and simplifying a life -- and I do believe in this case that it has been appropriate. And I love that my entire music library -- and podcasts besides -- is contained in a slim 103.5 x 61.8 x 13.5 mm rectangle, weighing a mere 162 grams!
(Measurements courtesy of www.bluefoxvideo.com)

2. On-line Correspondence Courses -- I am happy to say that I am in the home stretch of completing my degree from the University of Saskatchewan; however, living in Panama has put the brakes on my progress with it, to some degree. However, on-line Correspondence Courses have helped patch up some of the voids, and I absolutely love the freedom of schedule and flexibility they offer! How great it is to be a student of the U of S from the beaches of Panama!

3. On-line Banking -- I've already referred to this above, but I felt the need to incorporate it into today's gratefulnesses. :) It's a snap to deal with chequing and savings accounts, as well as paying off the VISA bill and eliminating my student line of credit. And ah, the peace it brings to see progress being made!

No comments:

Post a Comment