A Welcome; and a Disclaimer

**The name for this blog might sound pretentious, but that really isn't my intention. Rather, the inspiration for the title came from my realization that, although far from perfect, I strive always to be a better person and to influence those around me in positive ways. While I may not be as influential as Mother Theresa or Gandhi, I do believe that my actions have a ripple effect on the people, things, and environment surrounding me. Please join me as I process this exciting journey!

Monday, September 20, 2010

The Gratitude Project: Day 4

Happy Monday to one and all!

And now for an apology: I repent of my waywardness this weekend; apparently all it takes to break me of my routine is a different start to Saturday and Sunday. I am ashamed to admit -- dare I? -- that this blog didn't even cross my mind until this morning...although, for what it's worth, I did spend the entire weekend enjoying the little things and being thankful for the memories made.

I am also quite convinced that this site is, as yet, unknown, an undiscovered gem or source of insufferable babble, depending upon the beholder, I suppose; thus I really don't feel too bad about this breach of consistency!

Some of the beautiful gifts of life that particularly strike me this morning are:

1. Driving/exploring out in the country -- As a child I always loved it when my family went "exploring" down country roads out on the prairies of Saskatchewan. Little finds like century-old abandoned, falling-down barns and houses; rolling hills or flat plains of crops; rivers and lakes, forests and grassland; just getting to know one's surroundings near and far. This weekend my husband and I went driving in the mountains about an hour from the capital city, and such a peaceful, beautiful experience it was! Mountain streams and rippling brooks, jungle vegetation and spacious, rustic lots for sale interspersed with tropical homes and weekend cabins -- a wonderfully refreshing and inspiring morning during which the seeds of a dream were planted in our minds for our someday future dwelling place! It gives us something to work toward, and we would love to be able to offer it to friends and family when they visit!


2. Fresh herbs -- Ahhh...! There is nothing like a garnish of fresh rosemary, thyme, basil, mint and the like. Or to add them to home-made sauces, breads, pizzas, beverages -- the possibilities are endless! And the burst of flavour which they add, their unique aroma and texture, bring life to any dish and to any kitchen as potted plants.

3. Podcasts -- What a great (potential) teaching tool! For the past year and a half I have been hooked on podcasts from The Meeting House, "a church for people who aren't into church," located in Ontario, Canada. Ramón and I have been listening to their podcasts and watching their videocasts, as well as following their teaching materials. Something about their teaching resonates deeply with my Mennonite roots, and I am daily challenged and reminded of what truly is important in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment